This site contains affiliate links to products. Some are our own products, and others are brands we are promoting because of their quality or relevance to our content. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
The Neoprene (polychloroprene) in Neoprene fabric is a versatile synthetic rubber material used in a large assortment of applications including fashion, medical equipment, marine / aquatic equipment, accessories, and more. Neoprene is durable, waterproof (with closed-cell foams), and holds flexibility under a wide temperature range. It comes in varying thicknesses, can be laminated in different fabrics, and can have different treated surfaces of textured rubber. There are also different types of Neoprene such as CR (Chloroprene Rubber) and SBR (Styrene Butadiene Rubber) which have different strengths and uses. Neoprene was first developed by DuPont in the 1930s.
Neoprene fabric, like most other fabrics, is most commonly sold by the yard. SewSwank specializes in selling small to large sized custom cuts of Neoprene fabric – sold by the square foot. We do this to cater to the at home crafters, fashion designers, Do-It-Yourselfers, and small businesses. See below for SewSwank’s selection of high quality authentic Neoprene fabrics!
Neoprene Fabric in Fashion Applications
Neoprene is lovely to work with if you don’t like fabric fraying or slipping! It keeps its’ form easily, therefore adding structure to your pieces. It’s also easy to cut, as long as you have the proper tools for the job.
- 1mm Neoprene (also called Scuba Knit or Scuba Stretch) is actually just the knit top layer of fabric that is usually laminated on the rubber backing. This is great for pieces that require full coverage – such as leggings, swimwear, and other apparel.
- 1.5mm – 2mm Neoprene is perfect for fashion tops, dresses, pants, skirts, and more. Also, because this fabric breaths well and helps wick away perspiration, it works wonderfully for knee and other body braces and supports.
- 2mm – 2.5mm Neoprene is often used for scuba / wet suits and shoe covers (cycling and other activities). High quality Neoprene has excellent water resistance, is durable with a cushy feel, and retains body heat.
Neoprene Fabric for Accessories
- 2mm – 2.5mm Neoprene can also be used well for laptop sleeves and cases, phone cases, camera cases, can / bottle coozies, and even chapstick holders!
- 2mm – 3mm Neoprene is used in car seat covers because it is so durable. Especially is CR (chloroprene rubber) non-blended Neoprene, it is crushable (form has elasticity and “bounces back” from being crushed). It’s also easily cleaned and water resistant.